It’s October, which means the smell of fall and the Gospel Music Association’s annual Dove Awards in Nashville.
The Dove Awards have always held a special place in my heart. It’s something about the atmosphere in Music City, and the way the Christian and Gospel community comes together to uplift our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
Here are some of my favorite moments from the show:
- TobyMac is a BEAST!!! He opened the show with a performance of his hit song Elements and had it snowing on stage; he also won A Dove Award for Contemporary Christian Artist of the Year. I also found out that he opened a shoe store in downtown Franklin, TN called CITIZEN. Had no clue. But anyway, his sneaker game is sick!
- Jonathan McReynolds and his dope performance jacket. I told him, he’s going to have to start selling that thang.
Backstage he told us he’s working on a new album. We can look forward to that next year.
3. Tasha Cobbs Leonard!! When she opens her mouth even to speak, you hear “The Sound.” She blessed me backstage when she started talking about her husband, Kenneth Leonard, Jr. and how it’s important that you connect with the right person. Tears started flowing from her eyes and mines as well as she shared how the sound of her music even changed once they married.
“I partnered with a man of God who pulled greatness out of me!”
Talk about purpose partner!
Tasha is also working on new music.
4. Christian comedian John Crist was hilarious. I’ve never heard him outside of Instagram and YouTube, so to hear him in person was awesome. He’s super funny. He shared that he got his start doing the announcements at his father’s church (his father is a pastor).
5. Lauren Daigle took home 3 Dove Awards. She won artist of the year, song of the year and pop/contemporary album of the year.
“Just to see the support of so many people, it’s really, really moving. It’s overwhelming,” Daigle said after winning song of the year.
6. And then there was Kirk and Tammy Franklin. Kirk, who won Gospel Artist of the Year, closed everything out, and of course he didn’t disappoint. What’s that saying, ” don’t leave before the benediction.” Your blessing could very well come during the benediction, I know mines did at the end of the show. Kirk shared some nuggets of wisdom with inspiring gospel artists, and ended with this nugget,” If you’re not ready to die don’t get into the Christian entertainment business, Lord knows the church don’t need no more mistakes.”
During his acceptance speech Kirk called for prayers after a Fort Worth, Texas, girl was killed by a police officer over the weekend.
“A young girl by the name of Atatiana Jefferson was shot and killed in her home by a policeman and I am just asking that we send up prayers for her family and for his, and asking that we send up prayers for that 8-year-old little boy that saw that tragedy,” Franklin shared.
He also won contemporary gospel recorded song of the year.
The Dove Awards will air exclusively on TBN October 20th at 8 p.m. EST/5 p.m. PST.
Some performances you can look forward to are: Dorinda Clark Cole, JeKalyn Carr and Shirley Caesar, CeCe Winans performed a snippet of Alabaster Box, TobyMac, Kelonate Gavin and Kirk Franklin to name a few.